Monday, January 14, 2008

'08 Toyota Prius Review


No, I didn't run out and buy a 2008 Toyota Prius....even if I wanted to my family is too big to fit in one! But I did get to test one out last weekend on a trip to Atlanta. The drive was 260 miles each way, and we drove about 10 miles to the Marta station and some around town the 3 days I was there. Total miles about 600. Total gas used $40 at around $2.90/gallon = 13.8 gallons=43 mpg. Keep in mind that there were a lot of highway miles in that trip, which uses more gas than battery. So definately better than my minivan which averages only 28 mpg on the highway.


The big question here is how does it drive? We all know it saves gas and money....big plusses for our pocketbooks and the planet. But....it's definately an adjustment to drive. Many luxury models have similar systems to turn on the car, such as "plugging" in your clicker, no key, and joystick like shifter. This is a bit awkward when you first start driving. My biggest complaint is that the park button is above the joystick for shifting. I thought that a button on the top, or side would've been more convenient. The display was confusing, and altogether annoying to operate, but I figured it out eventually. Bottom line, great for the environment, smooth drive, fairly roomy and cute, but awkward to get used to. Like anything minor adjustments, and more time spent driving would make this a pretty great car. Now I just have to wait for the minivan version!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

LetsGoGreen.biz is an online company selling eco-friendly products to the homeowner. We have the products that let you "go green" at home. We have a full line of home water conservation items. Please let your members know about us. A link would be great. I would also like to speak to you about our fundraising program. You send folks to our site, they purchase products and you receive 25% of the sale. Great way to promote green products while you raise money for your site. Contact me via e-mail or at 770-480-2886.

Kyle Jodice
www.LetsGoGreen.biz